23 May 2010

COPING, COPICS AND CREATIVITY


Here is my little love, my Sylvia. Since I have had her, I have had little time for crafting, or any of my other hobbies. Sometimes it is frustrating. She is not the reason for this frustration; for, she is only joy and love. The reason is my lack of coping with that part of the mommy 'job'. I think most moms have these moments of frustration because they "just need a minute to themselves". I hope I am not alone in this, or I will need to take a serious look at myself!

Coping with frustrations is a learned skill. How do you cope? I would love to know! I am still learning, depending upon the situation. I have been a mommy for just a bit more than 17 months, so I am new to coping with the frustrations that can accompany being a mommy. Mostly, being a mommy brings unimaginable happiness. So, why the frustration? Is it selfishness? Is it lack of sleep? Is it misconceptions and unrealistic expectations? I think it is likely something different for everyone.

How to cope with very little alone time when you are a mommy, is what I am learning. It is important to remember we are not alone. Daddy's don't get a lot of alone time either, unless they aren't all that involved. Sylvia's daddy is very involved and devoted to her. I know that I need to remember this when I am feeling desperate for a moment alone. Perhaps it is about finding balance and compromise? I think that is something I will practice. Some of my frustration might come from knowing that if we were back in Seattle, there would be loads of people wanting to babysit for us. She would be taking turns staying the night at Granny's and other family member's homes. Mommy and Daddy would get, not just alone time for themselves, but alone time together. We are fortunate to have very nice friends and neighbors here, and they have been helpful. I am thankful for that, but it still isn't the same as being able to call Granny at a minutes notice.

I love our little girl, and I remind myself every day that she is my dream come true. Yes. I still need to keep what makes me, 'Tracy', and have a part of me that is separate from being 'Mommy'. At the same time, this is the time in my life when most of my moments will be about being 'Mommy'. I need to do more than cope with not having much time to myself, I need to remember to enjoy every second as a Mommy because it will not last forever. I will always be her Mommy, but she will not always need me as she needs me now. And, actually, I enjoy being needed by her.

This is my life. I accept and love that this is my life. Sometimes, it just gets a little difficult to cope when I am tired, sick, or just needing a moment to myself to catch my breath. This is okay. This is normal. I think?

One way of coping is by crafting! Well, not that I am always in need of something to use to cope....I am really saying: one way to get in touch with me and enjoying being 'Tracy'....is by crafting. I just liked the alliteration of the first sentence!

One type of crafting I enjoy is stamping. What goes hand in hand with stamping? Copic markers, or course! Yesterday, I got certified to teach Copics for crafters! Color me all sorts of Copic colors of excitement! Sally Lynn MacDonald was the instructor, and she was fun! I now know how to Cope with Copics! Heheheheee.

I am looking forward to finding time to design an entry level class creating scrapbook pages with Copics. It is likely it will involve a little Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist and something Tim Holtz!

I would love to continue reflecting and writing, but my little love is up from her nap.




No comments:

Post a Comment